Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Because That's Family

My daughter is at that age where she is starting to want to do what she wants and not want to do what the family wants to do. Although it's a quick moment she feels this way, it is a new chapter in our lives where my first born is getting older and having two little brothers can sometimes be more annoying than it used to be. Combine the two little brothers with one having autism and really not getting the emotional side of things, more often than not, it makes it even more difficult for this tween daughter of mine to have tolerance some days.

I get it. I have low tolerance some days. I get it. I don't like to play Mario Kart with our autistic family member either. I get it. I don't always want to do what any of the kids want to do.

But I do it.

Why?

Because that's family!

I am a firm believer that, within reason, a family unit learns to do things that each of us may not want to do in that moment because another family member wants to. We keep a balance in allowing each child to have some choice in what to do during the day. Being home all summer with three kids can make for a juggling act and my children need to learn how to balance and tolerate each other.

Because that's family!

I teach my children the life lessons I want instilled within them through my own actions, leading by example is best in all situations in life. Sure I don't much like to play Mario Kart, I never really used to like Minecraft, and I certainly don't enjoy being chopped playing Ninja's, but I do it. All of it.

Because that's family!

With my example and ways of communicating properly to children, we have learned to become quite the unit together. As my daughter stated the other day, "we have a very understanding, compassionate, loving and accepting family anyone can blossom when they live with us because we accept and love everyone"!

Because that's family!