Saturday, April 28, 2012

Does a Parent Get Symptoms From Child Diagnosis?

I am a firm believer that every parent needs a break from their children, it's healthy for both child and adult. What happens when you are a parent who never gets a break? There's that child that no family will take, there's that one child not yet in school all day and so it's you and them all day long, 24/7 and you never seem to get more than a moments break when you go to the grocery store for a rare trip without this child.

Being around hyperactive children or moody children 24/7 means that you could in turn start to feel their symptoms too. Becoming ADD is something I swear has happened with me having to keep up with the boys who have extremely high energy levels. My three year and and I are always together and he is on high speed from the moment he crawls out of bed until the moment he falls asleep.

I can't seem to keep my mind on one subject at a time, if I don't speak when a thought enters my mind then that thought disappears forever. This means I tend to interrupt people and I don't mean to be rude it's just that if i don't either speak or write that thought down then it will be forever lost in space. I am trying to find ways to keep my head on track but honestly the only thing that seems to help at any level is writing about my life, spreading positive thoughts and writing about ways I work to keep my mindset in a positive direction.

The weeks I can't seem to get a moment to write make me even worse with ADD like symptoms where I can't focus, I get sad, I start sulking and lose my positive mindset. Writing has become something that assists in keeping my bad thoughts at bay and believe me with all I have gone through and all I do go through on a daily basis, anger does appear in my feelings here and there.

Although I've learned ways to cope with my bitter feelings towards certain people who have come and gone in my life, when writing isn't possible I can feel the symptoms of lack of focus, bitterness and anger as well as the question of "what if" or "why" enter my brain. The problem is my questions regarding what ifs or whys will never fully be answered so there's no reason in thinking about them. So I have to wonder, is it truly possible for a parent to have the symptoms of a child diagnosis when they spend 24/7 with that child? I say yes.