Tuesday, January 31, 2012

True Saying: It Takes a Village to Raise a Child

I have always been a positive person for children, now that I have three of my own I do my best to be a trusted, open place for discussions of all sorts. I believe that every child needs to have at least one trusted adult to turn to when times are hard, let's face it, being a child is difficult and sometimes we seem to think being a child is easier once we become adults. It's as if once we become adults we neglect to look back on our childhood days of hardships with bullying, teasing and trying to find our own true self in this world. It is so difficult to learn to find your voice when you are young and for me it took me well into the adult years to find my real voice!

This fact of having difficulties finding your voice as a child reminds me of those children being abused, whether physically, emotionally or verbally, abuse is neglect and neglect is unlawful. I could never work in social services, why? Well because my heart would break with how our laws are set up, it seems whether you are an adult getting abused or a child the laws do not do much of anything until something extremely awful has happened, and sometimes yes this means death.

I can not imagine standing by, trying to help a child or adult, and then see all doors close one by one to getting the help this person needs. I can not imagine standing by watching a person turn so negative towards their own self from the abuse and lack of help that they feel they truly have no self worth. I can not imagine being the person inflicting such pain upon another human soul. A person who is abusive must have some really deep, dark issues that could easily be resolved with therapy and possibly the correct dosage of prescription drugs, depending up on how deeply wounded this abusive person is.

Why is it that the law does not stand up for those who are still living a good life, who still have hope in their heart and hope in their eyes? Why is it that the law for protecting those being abused does not protect them from the destruction of self? I have to admit bi-polar and all sorts of not so fun depression type mental health issues run deep in my gene pool and I will be damned if I do not stand up and recognize those symptoms in another person or child, whether it's a child of mine or a child of another person, I would stand up and fight for the rights of that child to be able to live a healthy, happy life. You see, a child who is abused will more than likely end up being an abusive adult later in life or just as worse an alcoholic or drug abuser.

I say there are loop holes in every law and I say we all start to stand up and fight for what we see is wrong. The old saying "It takes a village to raise a child" isn't gone is it? Do we not see as a society how stepping in and protecting the children of the world, our future generation, is not being nosy, it's a form of protection under the old saying "It takes a village to raise a child". There are some situations and circumstances when a stranger or extended family member needs to stand up for what is best for the children of our world, even if that means getting unfriended or being told they need to mind their own business. The end result will be that you saved a child today, so I say that is worth all of the negative anyone can inflict on another adult, be the strong voice and person you know in your heart to be and remember emotional/verbal abuse is abuse, it's just that we can't see the bruises on the surface.