Monday, October 31, 2011

Fictional Writing Practice: Sleepless Nights

I am started to get annoyed that my sons never sleep consistently through the night. It seems that once we get one of them to sleep the other has issues. The pediatrician put one son on medication to help him sleep but honestly it has been about three – four weeks of him being on this medication with little results. This son still sleeps the same way he always has, the first two nights he was on this new med he slept right thru the night but we feel it was due to his body coming off of the melatonin he had been taking before.

At age two the psychiatrist or pediatrician recommended melatonin as a natural remedy to help this boy sleep through the night, it worked to slow him down and help him be calm before bed but nothing has ever helped him stay sleeping through the night. Our second night at the new house I laid with my son, as I usually do before bed, and I noticed that his pulse was going very fast and that his ear was turning red. I happened to sit up slowly and peek at him to see if he was okay to find that he was sleeping.

I recall someone once told me to check his pulse rate while he is in a relax state and if it was going too fast then it was a sign of ADHD. I don’t know what to believe, who to rely on or anything anymore when it comes to this boy and his not sleeping through the night, his mood changes, his anger problem and his reluctance to listen to a thing you say.