Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What A Weekend

Last weekend I had a pretty off weekend for lack of a better word! We had a decent day on Saturday with the Winter Carnival events but come about 3pm my daughter started shivering and I just assumed it was because we had been out in the freezing cold weather most of the day for a parade and other fun times. Little did I know that horrible cough she had all last week was going to turn into this awful fever that wouldn't go away.

When my daughter curled up in a blanket on the couch and I saw how rosey her cheeks were, I knew something was wrong so I took out the ear thermometer and checked her temp. The temp was 103, so I pulled out the children's Tylenol and gave her some of that and allowed her to simply relax covered in a blanket, drinking water. Dinner time came and she could barely eat, so I started to worry a little bit, but showed my relaxed Mama face and allowed her to go back on the couch. Later on her brothers were getting a bit wild so she retired to her room for the night where I ended up awake until 1am and then again periodically until finally come 9:30am I got out of my bed after the boys father tended to the kids for the first part of the morning.

Little did I know the weekend and Monday too would be filled with high and low temps. Luckily my daughter's father (my ex boyfriend) came by with some Motrin and that seemed to help cut her fever for a little while, but at one point her temp reached 105.8 in her ear! I was so worried that I had her father call the pediatrician who told us that as long as she was comfortable and had no troubles breathing to just let her sleep. I gave her meds every 4 hours alternating between Tylenol and Motrin and then late Monday evening her father took her for two days.

Last time I spoke with her father she was doing pretty good and even ate dinner. He hadn't checked her temp yet but said if it kept going up and down he would certainly get her to the pediatricians on Tuesday (I am writing this post late Monday night). So we will see how she is doing later on Tuesday when her father calls me with an update. I hope she gets passed this, but as I sit here writing this post I hear both my sons coughing ... yes it's the same cough my daughter had last week. Shall I say it? Here we go again!

Make it a Happy Day!


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]